Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Night in Langkawi

Dad has a motorcycle here. Actually looks more like a very large motor scooter, but it does well getting from point A to B. this morn we nabbed it and went to do some quick groceries, including some amazing chocolate. There are stores here that sell nothing but different kinds of chocolate, oddly including American brands that are far superior to what the sell in the states. It is sad that Hershey's can make such good chocolate, but then waters it down with wax for the US.

 This eve we rented a car and Crys, Barb, Tams and Rio took  the car while Dad and I took the cycle. We first headed to the fruit stand, a which contained a wide variety of tasty fruits. Then we wondered off to the grocery store to stock supplies so that when we do take off for Ko Lippi and wherever else we wind up we'll have plenty of food. As we pulled out back onto the road I noticed a business across the street entitled "Crystal's Yacht Vacations". How fitting. 
     From there it was food time! We had eaten very little today aside from some toast, chocolate, and a piece of apple with a piece of cheese. Consequently we we ravenous as we headed for Dad's recommendation, a place on the other side of the island in a more touristy district. We pulled in a walked through to discover the restaurant was on a beautiful sugar sand beach. Literally. Our table was in the sand. It also had a wonderful view of the sunset. Not a bad place to kill an evening at all. Dad and Tams ordered some German beers, which I'm told the place is renowned for. Not being a beer drinker myself I decided to try the hard English cider listed.  Sadly I was informed they were out, so decided to go with the Lon Island ice tea instead. Wow. A tall glass was delivered that was short on sweet & sour and heavy on everything else. The fresh lime and cherry in it mad it extremely refreshing. For dinner I went with a parmesan and cheese crusted fillet of fish, garlic toast, and a tomato salad in balsamic vinaigrette. I do not know what kind of fish was served, but I can safely say it was high among the best fish dishes I have ever tasted. Clean, white, flaky with an amazing breading. The toast was also quite tasty. That salad... Well I'll give them props for truth in advertising. I expected a salad with tomatoes. Instead they delivered a salad of tomatoes. That is pretty much all it was. Kinda odd. Everyone else raved an out their own choice of dishes, and we finished up with a few deserts to share. Dad and Tami grabbed a very tasty Tierra messou, Barb and Rio tried some chocolate ice cream, and Crys and I shared a dish that essentially tasted like a coconut flan with a fruit topping. 







  The trip back on the back of that bike got down right brisk at times, but it was an awesome way to view the island. We had a couple of interesting moments, one when an on coming car decided it needed our lane worse than we did. We luckily whipped past it, but it definitely caused me to catch my breath. The other came when we passed a small heard of water buffalo meandering along the side of the road so close that I could smell them. For those interested, water buffalo smell virtually identical to other cattle. One other odd note was when dad pointed out the name of a hotel as we passed it. It was spelled as the "Citin Hotel". Not noticeable till you think about the facts that in the local language C is always pronounced CH and I is always pronounced EE, to the name would be pronounced as the " Cheeteen Hotel". Wonder if they rent rooms by the hour?

Everyone else decided to crash after arriving, but I think the near 10hrs I got last night actually caught me up, so instead I'm catching up on my posts while laying on the netting that connects between the two hulls at the front of the Silke. For all practical purposes it is like being on a huge hammock spread above the sea water. A gentle breeze is blowing, the moon is near full, the sky is clear and full of stars and my earbuds are playing a variety of my favorite tunes. There are worse places to be. Life is good. Lets see what tomorrow brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment